Problems importing references.
hi Rayyan QCRI
I also encounter the same issue with exporting ENDNOTE to rayyan like several people in this forum topic...
When we upload it in Rayyan it gives error and says its not an acceptable format...
How to solve this problem?
We're receiving a lot of complaints about issues with imports.
The general rule is that you can upload searches coming from different databases to Rayyan as long as they're in an accepted "reference format" as explained in the upload page. What is important to keep in mind is how references are laid out in the file exported by the database. It has to be one of these:
- EndNote Export (http://rayyan.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/citation-examples/endnote-example.en w" href="http://rayyan.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/citation-examples/endnote-example.enw">download example.enw)
- Refman/RIS (http://rayyan.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/citation-examples/refman-example.ri s" href="http://rayyan.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/citation-examples/refman-example.ris">download example.ris)
- BibTeX (http://rayyan.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/citation-examples/bibtex-example.bi b" href="http://rayyan.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/citation-examples/bibtex-example.bib">download example.bib)
- CSV (http://rayyan.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/citation-examples/excel-example.cs v" href="http://rayyan.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/citation-examples/excel-example.csv">download example.csv)
- New PubMed Format (download example.nbib)
- PubMed XML (http://rayyan.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/citation-examples/pubmed-example.xm l" href="http://rayyan.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/citation-examples/pubmed-example.xml">download example.xml)
- Web of Science/CIW (http://rayyan.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/citation-examples/web-of-science-example.ci w" href="http://rayyan.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/citation-examples/web-of-science-example.ciw">download example.ciw)
See the sample files if in doubt and compare the content to your file, preferably using a text editor or even a word processor.
In some instances, the file may may be in the correct reference format but is still rejected. This is usually due to extra blank lines, extra spaces, or extra text at the beginning of the file. In this case, you can either try to correct the file manually, go back to your database and get the file again maybe in a different format. or try to open the file in a reference manager (e.g., Zotero or EndNote) and if it's able to read it then you can export the content of the file to one of the above formats.
Note that some databases may not export in any of these standard reference formats. In this case, you can try to open the file in a reference manager (e.g., Zotero or EndNote) and if it's able to read it then you can export the content of the file to one of the above formats. Another option, if the database can export to a CSV format, is to modify the file using MSExcel or GoogleSheet to make it compatible with the CSV format accepted by Rayyan.
This should solve most of the issues faced by our users.